Chicken tinola is a famous and an all-time favorite dish by the Filipinos here in the Philippines and abroad. It is easy to prepare and even a newbie can easily make one delicious meal.
1 kilogram chicken, cut into parts
2 1/2 cups young papaya or sayote
2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
1/2 cup fresh chili leaf buds or malunggay leaves
1/2 head garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
3 tablespoons edible oil
2 tablespoons fish sauce
5 cups water
A pinch of salt and pepper
Procedure in cooking
1. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Saute ginger and garlic. Add onions. Stir-fry the cook until softened and translucent.
3. Add chicken cuts. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Wait until chicken turns white or done.
4. Season with fish sauce. Cook for another 3 minutes.
5. Pour in water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until chicken is half-done.
6. Add in papaya or sayote. Continue simmering until chicken and vegetable are tender.
7. Season with pepper and salt according to your taste. You can use other preferred seasoning.
8. Then add chili leaves or malunggay leaves.
9. Cover and let simmer for another 3 minutes or until the leaves are cooked.
10. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.